It’s a cheap source of protein and iron. (good for brain development) Note: Can be difficult to digest and should be combined with plenty of fresh vegetables.
Try this recipe. Makes 8 portions. (Freeze the rest!)
What you need:
- 1/2 small onion finely chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1/2 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup split red lentils
- 13/4 cup sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 13/4 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
Saute the onion, and celery in the vegetable oil till soft. Add the lentils and sweet potato and pour over broth. Bring to a boil, turn down heat and simmer for about 20mins. Puree and serve.